Sunday, February 3, 2008

Brew House setup

Currently by all grain brewing setup is as follows:

Grinding of the grain is accomplished by a Corona grain mill. I've "motorized" it using a drill attached to a nut with the head chopped off. It works great... unless i need to grind anything more than 7 pounds.....My cordless drill runs out of juice... So after that i have to grind by hand.

Mashing takes place in a converted 48 quart cooler. i've added a drain spout and connected it to a modified washer hose to provide a drainage mechanism. It works surprisingly well. Here is where the inspiration came from. Thanks to YellowDog brewery. Also, thanks to Chris Fennimore for the cooler.

I boil in a converted 7 gallon turkey fryer. I added a drain spout and bazooka screen to provide filtration. I also added a Brewmometer to determine the temperature of the water...

A recent purchase I made was to get a counter flow wort chiller. This has been one of my best purchases since moving to all grain. Now instead of having to wait hours and hours... my wort will chill in about 10-15 minutes. I think it would chill faster if i was able to get the wort through faster, but its still better than what i was used to.

Fermentation is accomplished in a number of different carboys and buckets. I also built a fermentation chamber (ok... its a plywood box) that allows me to keep a warmer temperature in my cold basement, especially in the colder months of the year.

I keg in 5 gallon soda pop canisters. Sometimes i bottle, but bottling can be a sanitation/cleaning pain...
I also built a kegerator to store my wares...








No comments: